Saturday, March 10, 2012

Spring Break book-reading

Begun

  • Children and Fire, by Ursula Hegi, on recommendation from my mother. Begun yesterday and already halfway through. Mainly takes place in 1934 in Germany in a small school. So far so good.
  • Common Ground: A Turbulent Decade in the Lives of Three American Families, by J. Anthony Lukas, on recommendation from a friend and also because of my Charlestown assignment. I am not usually patient with long expositions about the four and five generations leading up to our characters, but I am, so far, appreciating both the stories and what their histories are adding to the book. It's also really fun to read about Boston. I know this city's places better than anywhere else I've lived, including Bradenton. My small group visited Charlestown for a few hours on Wednesday and I have already gotten to recognize places from Charlestown in the book. Really neat. Have long wanted to understand better about civil rights era and decade or so thereafter, and didn't think about the dovetail with this until after I started reading.
  • Childism: Confronting Prejudice Against Children, by Elisabeth Young-Bruehl. I got this from the Mugar new book section and started it optimistically at the beginning of the semester. I've lost momentum but I think it is going to be really interesting, so am going to try to pick it back up.

Planned:

  • Pet Sematary, Stephen King. This is mostly because I read a John Grisham novel at the beginning of the semester (then answered a question in MCH policymaking with information I'd learned from it, haha) and while at the public library the other day was like, well I guess I'll read something by Stephen King and eventually Tom Clancy, too. (?)
  • The Beekeeer's Apprentice, by Laurie R. King. It was near Pet Sematary and I'd heard of it and was in that euphoric library mood where you're like, all of these books are freeeeeeee, freeeeeeeee!
  • The Hot Zone, by Richard Preston. Public health thriller! I read Maryn McKenna's Superbug: The Fatal Menace of MRSA over Christmas (so cheery) and enjoyed it a lot. Also a recommendation from a friend (same friend as Common Ground, actually).

Potential:

  • Something by Atul Gawande. SPH profs love to assign his New Yorker articles for light reading and I always enjoy them.
  • The Power Broker: Robert Moses and the Fall of New York, by Robert A. Caro I keep hearing good things about this. Might not be in the mood so soon after Common Ground.
ETA: also possibly my friend-from-high-school Patrick's draft of his second book if he finishes it soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment